Sunday, October 7, 2007

Who would ever want to be a writer?

I love books. I have always viewed them with awe and wonder, if they transported me to new levels of entertainment, education orplaces I have never seen before.

Somewhere around the age of fourteen, I discovered that there were good books and bad books. Don't laugh - I believed that there was a giant editor who really checked the facts written into books until that day

That's until I read a book that said that my great grand monther's tribe ate roasted mango seeds. I laughed, wrote a letter to the publisher and never got a reply.

Then I learned the hard lessons about propaganda. That all media paints a portrait of the news to meet their advertisers and governments needs - whether it was the New York Times or Pravda or La Prensa or the International Tribune.

So now I read books with a jaundiced eye. I read them either for pure entertainment or love of the written word. I very rarely read them for information purposes unless I recognize the writer as an authority in their field.

So when I decided to attempt to writing novels, I wanted to ensue that the research was impeccable - no roaasted mango seeds, no government or cultural propaganda.

The odds are that this may ensure that none of the novels will ever be published since they don't meet the current views in the United States or Europe - be that as it may, they will be accurate (laugh)

Next: What premise?

No comments: